Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Icy Projectile Challenge

Queue magazine, the magazine of The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), is holding a programming competition called The Icy Projectile Challenge.  The competition is based on the Challenge problem from ACM's 2010 International Collegiate Programming Competition. The contest is to write a program to control a team of virtual children in a snowball fight.  One nice thing about it is that you can write your program in C++, C#, Java, or Python.

I've entered the contest, and I'm writing my program in Python.  So far it is over 1000 lines.

You can see the preliminary standings here.

I wish I would have entered sooner!  I hope there is enough time for me to improve my player even more. I'm looking forward to the final tournament!!  Their web site says that the challenge is run by David Sturgill at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with help from Matt Slaybaugh at ACM.  So thanks to them for putting this on.  It's a great idea, great fun, and I hope they do something like it next year as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment